St. Gertrude’s Chapel (“Gertrudenkapelle”) was originally built in 1439 outside of the town walls. Originally a half-timbered hall, it was encased in brickwork around 1500. In 1935 the chapel underwent a conversion to become a Nazi ancestral hall. Since 1953, its Gothic brick hall is home to a museum for works by the sculptor Ernst Barlach (1870-1938). Some 30 wooden sculptures and other sculptural works are on display. Concerts take place in the chapel every year during the summer months.
St. Gertrude’s Chapel, Güstrow