Bardowick is one of the oldest settlements in Northern Germany. It was an important trading centre in the medieval times and was destroyed by Henry the Lion in 1189. After 1400 it developed into a flourishing centre for vegetable growing.
The Church of St. Peter and Paul (“Dom St. Peter und Paul”), collegiate church of the collegiate monastery of Bardowick, was first mentioned in 1146. The substructure of the towers is made of gypsum blocks and dates from the time after the destruction by Henry the Lion. Construction of today’s three-aisled brick hall church began at the end of the 14th century. Special furnishings include the baptismal font from 1367, the excellently preserved Gothic choir stalls from 1486/87 and the high altar from the 15th century. Above the south portal is an oak lion with a gilded lead mantle, in memory of Henry the Lion.
Beim Dom 2, 21357 Bardowick, Deutschland
Church of St. Peter and Paul, Bardowick
St. Nikolaihof was first mentioned in 1251. It was the hospital of the city of Lüneburg for lepers and was located far from the Lüneburg’s gates, on the southern edge of Bardowick. After a gradual decrease of leprosy, the hospital became an old people’s home towards the end of the 15th century. In the centre of the complex, marked by large trees, is the Chapel of St. Nicholas (“St. Nikolai”), whose origins date back to 1310. The entrance portal is preserved from this time. The west tower was built in the first quarter of the 15th century. The entire brick building was rebuilt in 1435. The men’s house was erected in 1316, the women’s house was newly built in 1720/21. Both buildings show the characteristic structure of a hospital building with small rooms on both sides of a long corridor. Remarkably, large kitchens have been preserved in both houses. The unity of the complex, its historical fabric, the vegetation and its location on the river still convey the image of a medieval hospital complex. A documentation of the history of Nikolaihof is on display in two almost authentically preserved cells of the women’s house.
St. Nikolaihof 19A, 21357 Bardowick, Deutschland