For more than 760 years now, St. Mary’s Church has dominated the silhouette of Frankfurt (Oder). The hall church is some 80 metres long and has a 45-metre wide transept, making it one of the largest religious buildings in North German Brick Gothic style. Other Brick Gothic buildings also bear witness to the great past of this once wealthy Hanseatic town: the town hall, the Friedenskirche (“Peace Church”) and the former Franciscan monastery church. The author and playwright Heinrich von Kleist is the most famous son of this town on the river Oder.
The concert hall “Carl Pilipp Emanuel Bach” is a former Franciscan monastery church, which was built around 1270 as a three-aisled hall church. The towering west gable with its abstract brick decoration on a white masonry background is a true eye catcher. Heinrich von Kleist was baptised in this church in 1777.
Lebuser Mauerstraße 4, 15230 Frankfurt (Oder), Deutschland
Franciscan monastery church, Frankfurt (Oder)
Building work on the St. Mary’s Church (“St.-Marien-Kirche”) commenced with the granting of the town privileges in 1253. When Viadrina University was founded in 1506, the church also functioned as a university church. After the Second World War, St. Mary’s was left in ruins; reconstruction began in 1979. A special treasure of the church is its 14th-century “stained glass bible”: three chancel windows, which depict biblical scenes and the legend of the Antichrist on 117 coloured panes. Other valuable pieces of equipment are nowadays on display in St. Gertrude’s Church (“St.-Gertraud-Kirche”).
Oberkirchplatz 1, 15230 Frankfurt (Oder), Deutschland
St. Mary’s Church, Frankfurt (Oder)
The town hall (“Rathaus”) is one of the most important municipal buildings of the Middle Ages in Brandenburg. It dates back to 1253 in its core. The Gothic show gables of the north and south façades are an early and filigree example of this type of construction in the heartland area. The building was destroyed by fire in 1945. Reconstruction was carried out until 1953 to celebrate the 700th anniversary of the town.
Marktplatz 2, 15230 Frankfurt (Oder), Deutschland
Town hall, Frankfurt (Oder)
The Friedenskirche, or Peace Church (St. Nicholas’ Church), is probably the oldest church in Frankfurt. Construction began around 1230, and the church received its present exterior form in the 19th century. In the course of its eventful history, the church has had several names and different uses. The roof truss dates back to the Middle Ages and is considered the oldest surviving work of Frankfurt carpenters.
Schulstraße 4A, 15230 Frankfurt (Oder), Deutschland