Pütt, as Parchim is affectionately called in Low German, is situated in the hilly setting of a terminal moraine, halfway between the German conurbations of Hamburg and Berlin and at equal distance from the Mecklenburg Baltic coast. The surrounding area, rich in forests, rivers and lakes, has the highest Douglas firs in Europe, numerous wetlands and a well-developed tourist infrastructure, offering a wide range of activities on land, water and in the air.
Town wall The defensive ring of the medieval town wall embraced Parchim from the early 14th century until the second half of the 19th century. It was almost six metres high, one metre thick and three kilometres long and was built of fieldstones, bricks and mortar. A wooden walk-way ran at a height of four metres. At several points, the town wall integrated watch houses for defence, the “Wiekhäuser”, some of which were inhabited. In medieval times, these houses, together with the town gates, played a key role in the town’s defences, as they served to fight off attackers from two sides. Censuses from 1764 still indicate some of these houses as dwellings and their inhabitants were often shepherds. After 1863, most of the town wall was demolished. A very well-preserved section of the town wall can be seen on the street Am Wallhotel. You can get to the town wall via Alte Mauerstraße, Lindenstraße or Am Wallhotel. Historic ramparts In the second half of the 15th century, a moat was excavated to further protect the town. It enclosed the town wall from the Wocker Gate in the north down to an arm of the river Elde stretching towards the […]
Alte Mauerstraße 12, 19370 Parchim, Deutschland
Historic ramparts, Parchim
St. George’s Church (“St. Georgenkirche”) next to the town hall is the larger one of the town’s two brick churches. Construction of this Gothic hall church first started in 1289, probably including a tower that had been abandoned around 1260. The church was only completed after the middle of the 14th century. Its formidable interior includes a neo-Gothic altarpiece by Gotthilf Ludwig Möckel, an altar and wooden sculptures from the 15th century, a magnificent Renaissance pulpit from 1580 and the 17th century council pews. The church still has a bell dating from around 1400 and one that was cast in 1613. It is possible to see the medieval roof truss on a 107-metre-long walk-way above the vaulting.
Lindenstraße 52, 19370 Parchim, Deutschland
St. George’s Church, Parchim
The core of the town hall dates back to the 14th century. However, it was not until 1818 that the building received its present façade following a radical reconstruction. Given that this reconstruction project dates back 200 years, the town hall ranks as one of the oldest neo-Gothic buildings in Germany. The impressive Gothic rib-vaulted cellar of the town hall is well preserved. Massively bricked octagonal pillars support the vault in the middle of the room.
Schuhmarkt 1, 19370 Parchim, Deutschland
Town hall, Parchim
St. Mary’s Church (“St. Marienkirche”) is the smaller one of the two churches. The construction of the chancel had probably begun when the church was mentioned in 1249. The chancel was completed around 1260 and the church was first consecrated in 1278. At the time of its second consecration, before 1314, the nave was completed as well. Some of the most precious furnishings are the bronze baptismal font (1365), the exquisitely carved winged altar (around 1500), the Renaissance carvings of the pulpit, the organ gallery and the organ case from the 17th century. Also worth noting are walled-in Jewish gravestones from the Middle Ages. The roof truss is accessible here as well.
Lange Str. 77, 19370 Parchim, Deutschland