Sławno is one of the oldest cities in the north of Poland. Its settlement history dates back to the 12th century. In 1317 the town was founded according to Lübeck law. In its long history the town experienced numerous changes of sovereign: it belonged to various Pomeranian duchies and was temporarily annexed to the Kingdom of Poland and the Mark Brandenburg. The spiritual life in the town was dominated by the Order of the Knights of St. John, who already owned a religious house here before 1155 and had the right of patronage over the town churches.
The first mention of Słupsk Gate dates to 1458 and, like Koszalin Gate, it is a free-standing brick building on a fieldstone foundation and a remnant of the town fortifications. On the northern side, it has buttresses. The main axis of the gate is accentuated by a pointed-arched passageway. In 1816 the gate was used for military purposes, then for storage. A relic of the latter function is the wooden hoist under the roof.
Marii Curie-Skłodowskiej 20, 76-100 Sławno, Polen
Słupsk Gate, Sławno
Koszalin Gate was first mentioned in 1453. Today a freestanding building, it is made of brick with a substructure of field stones. The small windows originally served as embrasures. Over the years the gate has been used for various purposes – in 1738 it was converted into a garrison and after World War II fire hoses were dried here.
Jedności Narodowej 6, 76-100 Sławno, Polen
Koszalin Gate, Sławno
St. Mary’s Parish Church is the largest church in Sławno. It was founded by Duchess Sophia, wife of Duke Barnim IV of Pomerania, and built between 1326 and 1364. The interior, however, was only furnished in the second half of the 15th century. The church belongs to a stylistically uniform group of Central Pomeranian basilicas, which are characterised by their specific wall structure: in the nave, the pillars of the walls of the central nave are carried through to the vault as pilasters, thus creating an impression of continuous upward movement and giving the basilican nave its hall-like character. The church was damaged following the invasion of the Russian army in 1945 and later restored by the Franciscan Order. The plain interior features a baptismal font from the 18th century, a baptismal font from the 16th century and a memorial plaque for the theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer.
Tadeusza Kościuszki 1, 76-100 Sławno, Polen