The town of Grudziądz in former West Prussia is located on the right bank of the Vistula between Toruń and Gdańsk. In 1291 the town was granted municipal privileges by Kulm law and was surrounded by a town wall in the following years. In the course of the 14th century it developed into a centre for grain trade. Even today, the old town on the river still has 26 imposing Gothic granaries.
Besides its Gothic monuments, the medieval town features three Baroque monasteries: the Benedictine Abbey with the Church of the Holy Spirit, the Jesuit College with the Church of St. Francis Xavier and the Reformed Monastery with the Church of the Holy Cross.