The church district around the Hanseatic city of Lüneburg has numerous communities with a remarkable variety of Brick Gothic churches. These include Adendorf, Barskamp, Betzendorf, Dahlenburg, Embsen, Lüdersburg, Neetze, Radegast, Scharnebeck and Thomasburg.
The brick church of St. John (“St. Johannes”) in Adendorf dates from the 13th century. The half-timbered bridal house with a wooden ridge turret became part of the chapel in the 16th century. Special features inside the church include an oaken baptismal font (around 1400), a winged altar (around 1700) and a brass chandelier from the 18th century. The stained glass windows were created by W. Petzold (1998).