The church was built in the 13th/14th c. for the Franciscan Order which came to Chełmno in 1255. In 1806 dissolution of the order, from 1859 it served as a grammar school church. Gothic, three–nave church, in the form of a pseudo-basilica with 52 metres in length nd with a bell tower on the southern
Interior in neo-Gothic style: altar, choir, pulpit and the stained-glass window with the scene of the Annunciation. Formerly, relics of blessed Jan from Łobdowo were kept here.
During preservation work in December 2006 very precious mediaeval polychromies were discovered in the church’s presbytery.
Elżbieta Pawelec, The Town Office of Chełmno