The Church of St. Peter (“St. Petri”), founded by Otto von Bamberg as early as 1128 in place of a Slavic temple, has seen many architectural changes over the centuries. Work on the existing building began in the 14th century. A three-aisled basilica with a mighty west tower, it was completed in 1415 and served simultaneously as court church and burial place of the Pomeranian dukes of the Pomerania-Wolgast line. A spiral staircase leads up to the tower, which has a wonderful view over the town.
The church was awarded the Europa Nostra 2010 heritage award by the European Union for the restoration of the sarcophagi of the dukes of Pomerania carried out between 2002 and 2007.