St. George’s Church (“St. Georgenkirche”) next to the town hall is the larger one of the town’s two brick churches. Construction of this Gothic hall church first started in 1289, probably including a tower that had been abandoned around 1260. The church was only completed after the middle of the 14th century. Its formidable interior includes a neo-Gothic altarpiece by Gotthilf Ludwig Möckel, an altar and wooden sculptures from the 15th century, a magnificent Renaissance pulpit from 1580 and the 17th century council pews. The church still has a bell dating from around 1400 and one that was cast in 1613. It is possible to see the medieval roof truss on a 107-metre-long walk-way above the vaulting.
St. George’s Church, Parchim