Building work on the St. Mary’s Church (“St.-Marien-Kirche”) commenced with the granting of the town privileges in 1253. When Viadrina University was founded in 1506, the church also functioned as a university church. After the Second World War, St. Mary’s was left in ruins; reconstruction began in 1979. A special treasure of the church is its 14th-century “stained glass bible”: three chancel windows, which depict biblical scenes and the legend of the Antichrist on 117 coloured panes. Other valuable pieces of equipment are nowadays on display in St. Gertrude’s Church (“St.-Gertraud-Kirche”).
St. Mary’s Church, Frankfurt (Oder)