St. Mary’s Church (“Marienkirche”), the older of the two town churches, dates from the end of the 13th century and was completed around 1314. It is a recognized monument of national importance for its exceptionally well-preserved medieval interior painting, which is almost completely intact on the pillars and arches of the nave. Discovered by chance during a restoration of the interior in the years 1936/37, most of it dates back to the 14th century and is related to paintings in St. Nicholas’ Church in Stralsund.
Marienkirchpl. 11, 17389 Anklam, Deutschland