St. George’s Church (“St.-Georgen-Kirche”) in Wismar is recognised as an outstanding example of North German Brick Gothic.
The first church to be built in today’s site was erected between 1260 and 1270. Its nearly two hundred and fifty years of building history make St. George’s a monument to the blossoming and decline of the medieval Hanseatic city. The Second World War caused damage; the area of the German Democratic Republic brought decay. Today, however, Wismar’s reconstruction is complete.
The impressive brick scenery serves as a backdrop for concerts of the NDR orchestra, the Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Film Festival, readings, congresses and theatre performances.
A viewing platform at a height of 35 metres offers an impressive view of Wismar. The platform has a lift for access.